The Humboldt Foundation of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development is offering six Georg Forster Research Awards to students from developing countries. Women scientists are encouraged to apply.
Each year, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation bestows up to six Georg Forster Research Awards in recognition of internationally outstanding researchers from developing and emerging countries. The award is named after the renowned German ethnologist Georg Forster (1754-1794) and is funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Concerning the Scholarship
The Georg Forster Research Award honors academics from all disciplines whose fundamental discoveries, new theories, or insights have had a significant impact on their own discipline and beyond, and who are expected to continue developing research-based solutions to the specific challenges confronting transition and developing countries.
Therefore, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation bestows up to six Georg Forster Research Awards each year on internationally renowned scholars from developing and emerging countries in recognition of their achievements in the classroom. Meanwhile, the award is intended to support the long-term development of great scientists from developing and transitional countries whose work will help raise living standards in their own countries.
The research award, named after prominent German ethnologist Georg Forster, is funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (1754-1794). In relation to Alexander von Humboldt. We support academics and scientists regardless of academic field or nationality. Germany’s research capacity grows as a result of international research exchanges. We provide ongoing support to our sponsorship recipients and actively promote international understanding, scientific progress, and development.
- Application Deadline: 31st October 2022
- Offered annually? Yes
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries (excluding People’s Republic of China and India). See List below
- To be taken at (country): Germany
- Type: Research/Grants
- Eligible Fields: Research programmes offered by the university
The award is worth €60,000. Winners are also invited to conduct a research project of their choice at a German research institution in collaboration with specialist colleagues.
The award allows for a total stay of six months to a full year, which can be divided into multiple stays.
If necessary, we will provide up to €25,000 in additional funding to support academic collaboration, specifically to cover the costs of attending academic conferences, acquiring material resources such as specialist literature or scientific equipment at the home institution, or including junior researchers.
- Nominations for a Georg Forster Research Award may be initiated by established researchers at research institutions in Germany.
- Humboldt Foundation award winners working abroad are also eligible to submit nominations jointly with a researcher working in Germany.
The individual nominated must additionally meet the following criteria:
- The nominee’s academic achievements must be internationally recognised and proven by corresponding successes in research.
- The nominee may not previously have received an award from the Humboldt Foundation for her/his academic work.
- The nominee must be a citizen of a developing or transition country (excluding PR China and India, see list of countries (PDF)).
- The nominee must have lived and worked in one of these countries for at least five years at the time of nomination.
Afghanistan, Ecuador, Macedonia, Samoa Albania, Egypt, Madagascar, Sao Tomé, Príncipe Algeria, El Salvador, Malawi, Senegal, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Malaysia, Serbia, Antigua and Barbuda, Eritrea, Maldives, Seychelles, Argentina, Ethiopia, Mali, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Azerbaijan, Fiji, Mauritania, Somalia, Mauritius, South Africa, Mexico, South Sudan, Bangladesh, Gabon, Micronesia, Fed. States, Sri Lanka, Belarus, Gambia, Moldova, Rep. St. Kitts and Nevis, Belize, Georgia, Montenegro, St. Lucia, Benin, Ghana, Morocco, St. Vincent, Bhutan, Grenada Mongolia, the Grenadines, Bolivia, Guatemala, Mozambique, Sudan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Guinea, Myanmar, Suriname, Botswana, Guinea-Bissau, Swaziland, Brazil, Guyana, Syria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Namibia, Tajikistan, Haiti, Nauru.
Read Also: How to Apply Now for MIPLC DAAD Scholarship
Tanzania, Honduras, Nepal, Thailand, Nicaragua, Timor-Leste Cambodia, Indonesia, Niger, Togo, Cameroon, Iran, Nigeria, Tonga, Cape Verde, Iraq Niue Tunisia, Central African Republic, Turkey, Chad, Jamaica, Turkmenistan, Chile , Jordan, Tuvalu, Colombia, Pakistan, Comoros, Kazakhstan, Palestinian territories, Congo, Dem. Rep. of Kenya, Palau, Uganda, Congo, Rep. of the Kiribati, Panama, Ukraine, Cook Islands, Korea, Dem. PR of Papua New Guinea, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Kosovo, Paraguay, Uzbekistan, Cote d’Ivoire, Kyrgyzstan, Peru, Cuba, Philippines, Vanuatu, Laos, Venezuela, Lesotho, Rwanda, Vietnam, Dominica, Lebanon, Dominican Republic, Liberia, Djibouti, Libya, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
The Purpose and Benefits of the Georg Forster Research Award
The award is worth €60,000.
Winners are also invited to conduct a research project of their choice at a German research institution in collaboration with specialist colleagues. The award allows for a total stay of six months to a full year, which can be divided into multiple stays.
If necessary, they will provide additional funding of up to €25,000 to finance academic collaboration, specifically the costs of attending academic conferences, purchasing material resources such as specialist literature or scientific equipment at the home institution, or including junior researchers.
Procedure for Selection:
The nomination period usually concludes on October 31st of each year. To select the award winner, an independent Selection Committee comprised of researchers from all disciplines meets in the summer of the following year. The Committee’s decision is based on independent peer reviews, the nominees’ academic credentials, and the importance of their research to the development of their home country.
The following are the primary selection criteria:
- the nominee’s outstanding international research reputation
- findings from research that have a demonstrable impact that extends beyond the immediate field of work
- the significance of a research prize in relation to the research’s developmental relevance (The 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations can be used as a guideline here.)
- The nominee’s multiplier effect in research, teaching, and science management, as well as in other development-related processes outside of research.
How to Apply
- To apply, please register and create an online nomination for a Georg Forster Research Award.
- Please visit the Guidelines for completing the nomination on the Humboldt Foundation’s website for further information on the selection procedure.
Best Institution in Spain: Top 5 Best Institution to Study in Spain
Best Institution in Spain: When it comes to pursuing higher education, Spain stands out as a vibrant and culturally rich destination. With a plethora of institutions offering diverse academic programs, choosing the right university becomes a crucial decision. (more…)
Best Institution in France: Top 5 Best Institution to Study in France
Best Institution in France: When it comes to pursuing higher education, France stands out as a beacon of academic excellence. With a rich history, diverse culture, and world-class institutions, France has become a top destination for students seeking quality education. (more…)
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏10 months ago
American Visa Sponsorship Program – Where | When | How to Apply | Study, Work & Live in USA
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏11 months ago
Official Sponsorship Approval – 100% Award Winning On Citizenship | Employment | Scholarship
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏9 months ago
USA Employment Visa Sponsorship Program To Work and Live Abroad
Entrepreneur2 years ago
Hotel Jobs with Visa Sponsorship in Canada – Apply Now!
Study Abroad9 months ago
Canada Government scholarships for international and African students 2023/2024
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏7 months ago
American Immigrant Visa Sponsorship – How To Apply For Study And Work Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏9 months ago
Canada VISA Sponsorship Application Form For 2023 Is Out – To Study, Work and Live Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏9 months ago
USA, Canada, Australia Student VISA Lottery Application