While internships in areas like web design and analytics are well paid, stipends in fields like fashion, film-making, writing, music, or the arts are usually nominal. But interns get to interact with successful professionals, learn their trade and develop a network of contacts. It’s just common decency to pay them.
any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession: an internship for management trainees. any period of time during which a beginner acquires experience in an occupation, profession, or pursuit: She had a long internship before starting her own recording studio.
The definition of an internship is a period in which you work for free or little pay in order to learn a skill or get your foot in the door of an industry. An example of an internship is when you work for a newspaper for free over your summer vacation in order to learn what the newspaper business is like.
An internship is a period of work experience offers by an organization for a limit(ed) period of time. Once confine to medical graduates, the internship is use practice for a wide range of placements in businesses, non-profit organizations, and government agencies. They are typically undertake by students and graduates looking to gain relevant skills and experience in a particular field.
Employers benefit from these placements because they often recruit employees from their best interns, who have known capabilities, thus saving time and money in the long run. Internships are usually arrange by third-party organizations that recruit interns on behalf of industry groups. Rules vary from country to country about when interns should be regard(ed) as employees. The system can be open to exploitation by unscrupulous employers.
Internships for professional careers are similar in some ways. Similar to internships, apprenticeships transition students from vocational school into the workforce. The lack of standardization and oversight leaves the term “internship” open to broad interpretation. Interns may be high school students, college and university students, or post-graduate adults.
These positions may be paid or unpaid and are temporary. Many large corporations, particularly investment banks, have “insights” programs that serve as a pre-internship event numbering a day to a week, either in person or virtually.
Typically, an internship consists of an exchange of services for experience between the intern and the organization. Internships are used to determine whether the intern still has an interest in that field after the real-life experience. In addition, an internship can be used to build a professional network that can assist with letters of recommendation or lead to future employment opportunities.
The benefit of bringing an intern into full-time employment is that they are already familiar with the company, therefore needing little to no training. Internships provide current college students with the ability to participate in a field of their choice to receive hands-on learning about a particular future career, preparing them for full-time work following graduation.
United Nations Internships
United Nations Internships 2022-2023 are open to international students. The duration of the internship is 2 to 6 months. United Nations Internships will provide certificates and exciting experiences to work with the United Nations office.
The world looks to the United Nations (UN) for solutions to complex problems. The 40,000 staff work to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, and promote social progress, better living standards, and human rights. To be effective in solving the world’s problems, the United Nations needs a diverse workforce contributing to these solutions. The Office of Human Resources fosters a dynamic, adaptable, mobile workforce, with the highest level of competence and integrity, to effectively and efficiently serve the mandates of the Organization.
The UN offers an exciting diverse and inclusive workplace. This internship provides a unique opportunity to work with colleagues of diverse backgrounds to solve a variety of problems. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join the Organization. If you are select(ed), you will join a global intern cohort and make a real impact by working on challenging and rewarding projects.
United Nations Internships Summary
- Institution(s): United Nations
- Location: All world countries
- Internship Focused Areas: Click here to view all available areas
- Period: 2 to 6 months
- Internship Deadline: Check the deadline here
United Nations Internships will provide certificates and exciting experiences to work with the United Nations office.
Eligibility Criteria for United Nations Internships
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for United Nations Internships:
- Required Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position fluency in English is required, knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows a willingness to learn new technology.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants at the time of application must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enroll(ed) in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enroll(ed) in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in journalism, communications, human development, psychology, sociology, disability inclusion, international relations, human resources or relate field; or
- Have graduate with a university degree (as define in a and b above) and, if select(ed), must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- If pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages, have completed at least four years of full time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree in journalism, communications, human development, psychology, sociology, disability inclusion, international relations, human resources or related field;
2. Be computer literate in standard word processing and software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel or similar and proficient in standard office automation equipment scanner, printer, etc.).
3. Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter.
4. Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
How to Apply
Please follow the following application instructions to win United Nations Internships:
- Create an account on the United Nations Portal from here.
- Fill in your profile.
- Search for the internship and apply for it.
- A completed online application (Cover Letter and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Letter must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing;
- Graduation date (when you will be graduating from the program);
- Explanation of your interest in the United Nations Internship Program;
- Experience in drafting targeted communications, conducting data analysis, including visualizing and validating data, and using social media;
- Explanation of why you think you are the best candidate for this role;
- In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, communications, and data analysis-related experience, software used, and three references.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
- Click here for more information on the application process.
However, if there is anything you think we are missing. Don’t hesitate to inform us by dropping your advice in the comment section.
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below!
Hope this was helpful? Yes or No
Best University in California for Computer Science: A Comprehensive Guide
When it comes to pursuing a degree in Computer Science, California is a hotspot for top-notch education. With numerous universities scattered across the Golden State, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your academic journey. (more…)
Right College: How to Decide on the Right College for You
Choosing thе Right College can bе challеnging. Thеrе arе hundrеds of options. Should you attеnd a Univеrsity, Community Collеgе, Onlinе, or Tеchnical School? This answеr is challеnging, but you can solvе this еasily by following thе stеps in this articlе. (more…)
Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarships at Edinburgh University
Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarships are payments awarded to students. Based on outstanding academic achievements. Or because they have met all requirements set out by the scholarship sponsor. Therefore, they are 2 main types of scholarships that you can apply for: Full scholarship: A payment that covers all of your tuition and textbook fees. (more…)
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏8 months ago
American Visa Sponsorship Program – Where | When | How to Apply | Study, Work & Live in USA
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏9 months ago
Official Sponsorship Approval – 100% Award Winning On Citizenship | Employment | Scholarship
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏7 months ago
USA Employment Visa Sponsorship Program To Work and Live Abroad
Entrepreneur2 years ago
Hotel Jobs with Visa Sponsorship in Canada – Apply Now!
Study Abroad7 months ago
Canada Government scholarships for international and African students 2023/2024
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏5 months ago
American Immigrant Visa Sponsorship – How To Apply For Study And Work Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏7 months ago
Canada VISA Sponsorship Application Form For 2023 Is Out – To Study, Work and Live Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏7 months ago
USA, Canada, Australia Student VISA Lottery Application