An Office Administrator is a professional who oversees operations across their organization’s office. They are responsible for welcoming visitors, coordinating meetings, appointments and directing various administrative projects. Office administration. Office administration is a set of day-to-day activities that are related to financial planning, record keeping & billing, personnel, physical distribution, and logistics, within an organization.
An Administrator provides office support to either an individual or team and is vital for the smooth running of a business. Their duties may include fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, word processing, creating spreadsheets and presentations, and filing.
An administrator holds the highest authority in a company, and on the other hand, a manager holds the authority somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy order.
You don’t need any formal qualifications for most administrator roles. However, if you want to, you could consider a business degree or business-related national vocational qualification (NVQ). Training provider City & Guilds has information about lots of work-based qualifications on their website.
An office administrator
An office administrator completes administrative tasks that enable an office to run smoothly. A central job of the office administrator is to provide support by keeping office supplies stocked and supervising administrative staff. Other duties of an office administrator include bookkeeping, scheduling, purchasing, updating business records, and drafting documents.
An office administrator has the responsibility of ensuring that the administrative activities within an organization run efficiently by providing structure to other employees throughout the organization. Therefore, these activities can range from being responsible for the management of human resources, budgets, and records, to undertaking the role of supervising other employees. These responsibilities can vary depending on the employer and level of education.
How to Become an Office Administrator
Office administrators are vital to successful business operations. You can become an office administrator by completing a high school diploma or a GED certification. Consider earning an associate or bachelor’s degree in business administration to increase career prospects and demonstrate knowledge of basic administrative duties that are needed to run an office.
Highlight relevant skills and qualifications on your resume, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, administrative management, verbal and written communication, budgeting, and event coordination.
How to Be a Good Office Administrator
Office administrators manage and support key business functions that help to meet company objectives. You can excel in your office administrator job by completing assigned tasks within the required timeframe, offering a respectful and kind greeting to every guest, responding to emails and calls promptly, and delegating tasks equally among administrative staff.
Further, employers value office administrators who can resolve problems that arise in the office, so be sure to strengthen your problem-solving skills to be a good office administrator.
Office Administrator Job Description Sample
With this Office Administrator job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for an Office Administrator role.
The importance of an office administrator to an organization is substantial due to the duties that they are entrusted with; therefore, specialized training is required in order for the employee to work efficiently and productively, these being;
- Payroll training involves the responsibility in ensuring that all employees receive their pay slips on time.
- Having good communication skills in order to coordinate with other employees around the organization.
- The ability to supervise support workers
- The ability to adapt to changing environments and new technologies that could be implemented e.g. new software installation.
- Showing good initiative
- The ability to work under pressure when given a task that is of vital importance to the organization.
- Proven experience as an office administrator, office assistant, or relevant role
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Familiarity with office management procedures and basic accounting principles
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and office management software (ERP etc.)
- Qualifications in secretarial studies will be an advantage
- High school diploma; BSc/BA in office administration or relevant field is preferred.
The duties of an office manager include:
- Organize the office’s operations and procedures by undertaking several administrative tasks, for example designing and implementing new filing systems
- Assigning tasks to employees and following up on their progress
- Recruiting, selecting, and training new employees
- Developing employees through coaching and counseling
- Producing annual budgets
- Professional development, for example by attending external training sessions
- Welcome visitors and provide assistance when necessary
- Organize conference room scheduling, equipment, and cleaning
- Answer phone calls and respond to email
- Monitor and maintain office equipment; inventory supplies and order replacement supplies as needed
- Organize catering, coffee, or other refreshments as needed
- Assist with travel arrangements for office staff and managers
- Coordinate building and maintenance issues for general repair and updates
- Assist other departments with administrative or clerical support
There is an extensive range of roles that can be associated with an office administrator. However, organizations often advertise administrative assistant vacancies targeted at students that are currently studying or who have left secondary school or college.
This gives the employee the opportunity to gain experience or build a career through full-time work or an internship over the course of a summer break.
Receptionists play a key role in the organization’s management, as they are entrusted with arranging and greeting clients, suppliers, and visitors directly via emails, phone calls, or direct mail. The employee undertaking the role of a receptionist must show good organizational, communication, and customer service skills in order to ensure efficiency.
The receptionist should be aware of scammers who try to obtain the inner information of an office or medical practice to abuse or exploit it.
Other responsibilities that a receptionist is entrusted with are:
- Ensuring that outgoing and incoming mail is allocated to the right department within the organization
- Organizing and assisting fellow employees with meetings, conferences, and direct telephone calls when required
- Communicating with members of the public when an inquiry is made
- Managing and maintaining the filing system that has been implemented into the organization, e.g. information systems
- Clerical duties that involve the ordering of equipment, office supplies, and other inventory that is required
2. Personal Assistants
Personal Assistants are commonly associated with assisting office managers to maintain the efficiency of their day-to-day work; this is through providing secretarial support and assistance. Meanwhile, becoming a personal assistant requires the employee to have experience in previous administrative jobs, which entails the use of computers and information systems.
Like any other role that is related to an office administrator, the job title of personal assistant requires the employee to be organized, show professionalism, and have an ability to work under pressure when given a task of vital importance.
The duties that a personal assistant must carry out each day are the following:
- Inputting, filing, and managing the data that is stored within the organization’s office system
- Ensuring that all contact from third-party individuals is processed through them
- Arranging transportation and meetings that are of importance to the office manager
- Ensuring that documents, reports, and presentations are set up prior to any meetings
- Processing emails and letters that are received in correspondence to the office manager
However, if there is anything you think we are missing. Don’t hesitate to inform us by dropping your advice in the comment section.
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below!
Read More: You can find more here https://www.poptalkz.com/.
Hope this was helpful? Yes or No
The Best Real Estate Companies in the USA/ Thing to Know About Real Estate
The best real estate companies are the ones that take the time to understand your needs and provide you with the service you deserve. Whether you’re buying or selling property, you should only choose an agent who will represent your interests and ensure you have all the information you need to make an informed decision that’s right for you and your family. (more…)
Mastering Engineer Jobs In Canada For Foreigners: The Best Top 10 Jobs In 2022/23
Do you have foreign experience and are looking to take the next step in your mastering engineer career? There are many different types of mastering engineer jobs in Canada, but some are easier to get than others. Take a look at this list and see if any sound like something you’d be interested in! (more…)
Exciting Careers in the Film Industry in Germany: Get Ahead in Your Career by Making Movies!
A career in the film industry can be exciting, challenging, and rewarding all at once. If you’re interested in learning about exciting careers in the film industry, Germany is an especially good place to do so, with many prominent international film festivals taking place there every year. Here are some of the most exciting careers in the film industry that you can pursue in Germany, as well as tips on how to get ahead in your career by making movies! (more…)
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏11 months ago
Official Sponsorship Approval – 100% Award Winning On Citizenship | Employment | Scholarship
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏11 months ago
American Visa Sponsorship Program – Where | When | How to Apply | Study, Work & Live in USA
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏11 months ago
USA Employment Visa Sponsorship Program To Work and Live Abroad
Entrepreneur7 months ago
Hotel Jobs with Visa Sponsorship in Canada – Apply Now!
Study Abroad11 months ago
Canada Government scholarships for international and African students 2022/2023
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏11 months ago
Canada VISA Sponsorship Application Form For 2022 Is Out – To Study, Work and Live Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏8 months ago
American Immigrant Visa Sponsorship – How To Apply For Study And Work Abroad
Abroad Visa 🇺🇸 🍁 🌏2 years ago
USA, Canada, Australia Student VISA Lottery Application